Dedicated 1 May 1926 · Shirleysburg borough · 1926HM00007
Fort Shirley - PLAQUE
One of the chain of frontier defenses of the Province of Pennsylvania in the French and Indian Wars stood on this knoll built 1756 by its commander the noted Indian Trader and Agent GEORGE CROGHAN. Here in 1753 at the site of Aughwick Indian Town he had located his trading post and here September 3-6, 1754 CONRAD WEISER the noted Indian Interpreter and Agent had held a conference with the great Iroquoian Half King TANACHARISON and other chiefs of the Shawnee and Delaware Indians.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 522, Shirleysburg
- Forts
- French & Indian War
- Military
Dedicated 16 March 1946 · Porter township · 1946HM00086
Hart's Log
The Frankstown Path, highway of early travelers in this region, passed through the settlement of Hart's Log--later called Hartslog, now Alexandria. The place was first named after a hollow log at this site, which the trader John Hart used between 1744 and 1755 as a feeding trough for his pack of horses.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Wm. Penn Hwy. (US22) at PA 305 junction, just S of Alexandria
- Early Settlement
- Professions & Vocations
- Transportation
- Paths & Trails
Dedicated 6 June 1946 · Brady township · 1946HM00087 Reported missing
Jack's Narrows
The gorge cut by the Juniata through the mountain at this point, derives its name from the trader, Jack Armstrong, who was killed by the Indians at the river crossing in 1744.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 22, ~8.5 miles SE of Huntingdon (Missing)
Dedicated 25 April 1947 · Shirley township · 1947HM00170
Fort Shirley
Built 1755-56 by George Croghan. First a stockade and then a major link in the frontier fort chain west of the Susquehanna. Base for the Armstrong expedition, 1756. Site on opposite knoll.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
U.S. 522 at N end Shirleysburg
- Forts
- French & Indian War
- Military
Dedicated 28 April 1947 · Cromwell township · 1947HM00166
"Shadow of Death"
The name applied to this locality by Conrad Weiser and other travelers on the Frankstown Path in the mid-18th century. Its local significance is now unknown.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Croghan Pike (US 522) W of Shade Gap
- Transportation
- Paths & Trails
Dedicated 28 April 1947 · Cromwell township · 1947HM00167
Bedford Furnace
First iron furnace in the Juniata region. Famous as a center for making quality charcoal iron. Located on Black Log Creek below its junction with Shade Creek. Completed about 1788.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 522 near Palmer St., at SE end of Orbisonia
- Business & Industry
- Coal
- Furnaces
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 29 April 1947 · Cromwell township · 1947HM00172
Juniata Iron, Cromwell township
Along the streams of this region are ruins of many charcoal iron furnaces and forges built between 1790-1850. Juniata iron was the best in America. Its reign ended with the rise of coal and coke iron making.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 522, ~1 mile S of Orbisonia
- Business & Industry
- Coal
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 29 April 1947 · Morris township · 1947HM00173
Juniata Iron, Morris township
Along the streams of this region are ruins of many charcoal iron furnaces and forges built between 1790-1850. Juniata iron was the best in America. Its reign ended with the rise of coal and coke iron making.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Wm. Penn Hwy. (US 22) just E of Birmingham Pk. (PA 453), Water Street (town name)
- Business & Industry
- Coal
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 30 April 1947 · Spruce Creek township · 1947HM00168 Reported missing
Coleraine Forges
Nearby are the sites of two forges, built in 1805 and 1809 by Samuel Marshall. Juniata iron became famous as the best of the charcoal iron made 1790-1850. Spruce Creek was noted for its ironworks.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
PA 45, 1.6 miles NE of Spruce Creek
- Business & Industry
- Coal
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 30 April 1947 · Morris township · 1947HM00169 Reported missing
Fort Roberdeau
The Revolutionary fort site is located a few miles from here. Built 1778 by Daniel Roberdeau to protect lead mines in Sinking Valley which supplied the Continental army.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
PA 453 / Truck PA 45 & Kettle Rd., near Union Furnace and just outside Blair Co. (MISSING)
- American Revolution
- Forts
- Military
Dedicated 30 April 1947 · Jackson township · 1947HM00171
Greenwood Furnace
Built about 1837 to supply iron to Freedom Forge near Lewistown. Restored stack, the Church, Big House, and store common to iron making communities remain. Works closed 1904, the last to operate in this region.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Pa. 305 at Greenwood Furnace State Park
- Business & Industry
- Furnaces
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 30 April 1947 · Franklin township · 1947HM00174
Pennsylvania Furnace
The remaining buildings here were part of the iron works established about 1810. Operating first as a charcoal iron manufactory, the furnace later used coke. Iron was made here as late as 1888.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Spruce Creek Rd. (PA 45) at Pennsylvania Furnace Rd., PA Furnace
- Business & Industry
- Coal
- Furnaces
- Iron & Steel
Dedicated 23 July 1948 · Smithfield township · 1948HM00084
Martin G. Brumbaugh, Smithfield township
World War I Governor from 1915-19, one of the most prominent educators of the State, was born a few miles SW, April 14, 1862. Buried in Valley View Cemetery in the same neighborhood. In 1895-1906; 1924-30, he was President Juniata College.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 22 & PA 26, W of Huntingdon
- Education
- Governors
- Professions & Vocations
Dedicated 16 March 1949 · Morris township · 1949HM00072
Frankstown Path
The path turned south, up the Frankstown Branch of Juniata. The Warriors Path from Great Island came in at Water Street, so named because the river bed was used as a passage through Tusseys Mountain.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
US 22 at Water Street, PA (town name)
- Transportation
- Paths & Trails
Dedicated 21 April 1949 · Franklin township · 1949HM00074
Spruce Creek Church
Present church built in 1858 by a Presbyterian congregation organized in 1798. Their first house of worship, a log church built in 1805, was within old Graysville Cemetery, on the hilltop opposite.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Spruce Creek Rd. (PA 45) at church opposite Bobby Ln., between Graysville and Pennsylvania Furnace
Dedicated 1 July 1949 · Penn township · 1949HM00073
Martin G. Brumbaugh, Penn township
Governor of the State, 1915-19, outstanding educator, was born near here April 14, 1862. Superintendent county schools, 1884-90. Juniata College president, 1895-1906; 1924-30. Died Mar. 14, 1930. Buried in Valley View Cemetery.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Pa. 26, 1.3 miles NE of Marklesburg
- Education
- Government & Politics
- Government & Politics 20th Century
- Governors
Dedicated 15 October 1955 · Huntingdon borough · 1955HM00014
David R. Porter
Ironmaster and Governor of the State, 1839-45, lived in this house. A leader in local affairs, he was called "our own Davy R." His son Horace, soldier and diplomat, was born here, 1837.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
3rd & Penn Sts., Huntingdon
- Government & Politics
- Government & Politics 19th Century
- Governors
- Professions & Vocations
Dedicated 15 October 1955 · Huntingdon borough · 1955HM00015
Fort Standing Stone
Built to protect the settlers against Indian raids. In July, 1778, Continental troops and Militia were ordered here as part of plan of defense against Indian attacks. Old Fort stood 200 yds. south, at Stone Creek and the Juniata.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Penn St., Huntingdon
- American Revolution
- Forts
- Military
- Native American
Dedicated 15 October 1955 · Huntingdon borough · 1955HM00016
McMurtrie Mansion
David McMurtrie built this house in 1817. A pioneer family; leaders in local political and business affairs. Now houses the Historical Society and the Library of Huntingdon County.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
4th & Penn. Huntingdon
- Buildings & Architecture
- Mansions & Manors
Dedicated 20 September 1982 · Huntingdon borough · 1982HM00032
Huntingdon County
Formed on September 20, 1787 out of Bedford County. Named for the Countess of Huntingdon to honor her support of the University of Pennsylvania. Huntingdon, the county seat, incorporated 1796. County noted for fertile land, iron, timber, water power, roads.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
County Courthouse, Penn St., Huntingdon
- Government & Politics
- Government & Politics 18th Century
Dedicated 5 July 1992 · Oneida township · 1992HM00016
Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Valley Rural Electric Cooperative, serving seven counties from headquarters at Huntingdon, was incorporated November 1, 1938.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
10700 Fairgrounds Rd., Huntingdon
- Agriculture
- Business & Industry
- Electricity
Dedicated 23 April 1995 · Rockhill borough · 1995HM00014
Admiral Wm. Sims
Commander of the American naval forces in European waters in the first World War, naval writer and critic, entered the U.S. Naval Academy from this community in 1876. From 1883 to 1902, Sims family occupied the house opposite.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Valley St. (PA 994) just S of Spring St., Rockhill, W of Orbisonia
- Military
- Military Post-Civil War
Dedicated 1 November 2018 · Jackson township · 2018HM00008
McAlevy's Fort
A frontier blockhouse was erected near this site in 1778 by Col. William McAlevy, pioneer settler and Revolutionary War officer. It was a refuge point for early settlers. The village was founded by entrepreneur Robert McBurney in the 1840s. He actively developed the village in the decades that followed. Several 19th century ironworks and mills in the vicinity contributed to its growth.Marker text, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
Junction Greenwood Rd. (PA 305) & McAlevy's Fort Rd. (PA 26) at McAlevy's Fort
- American Revolution
- Military