Huntingdon borough
Union Depot at Fourth and Allegheny

The Union Depot at Fourth and Allegheny Streets was built in 1872 to serve the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Huntingdon and Broad Top, which had each been using an existing building as a passenger station. The Historic American Engineering Record documented it as HAER PA-244, compiled by historians Nancy Shedd and Ken Heineman with editors Gray Fitzsimons and Kenneth Rose, part of a documentation project begun in February 1987 whose results were published in the 1991 county inventory.
The survey describes a two-story brick building 135 by 35 feet, with decorative brickwork at the eaves and in recessed panels around its openings, a hipped roof with bracketed eaves, and a stone foundation below grade. When it opened, the Pennsylvania's tracks ran down Allegheny Street, the canal passed south of the station on what is now the railroad right of way, and the depot faced the street, with a roof on iron columns sheltering the sidewalk and a conical-roofed tower on its northeast corner.
The flood of 1889 wrecked the partly abandoned Juniata Division of the canal, and the railroad moved its tracks off the street and onto the canal bed. The station was turned to face south in 1892, the street projections came off, and broad-roofed shelters went up over the new platforms. About 1905 a small enclosed eastbound shelter was built under the existing roof and a 25 foot addition went onto the west end. The survey says the depot closed in 1965.
The surveyors found the building abandoned but rich inside: wainscoting, a round cast-iron radiator, the oak freight-office counter, labeled mailboxes, early light switches, a tile-hearth fireplace upstairs and the original office corridor. They also recorded a leaking roof threatening all of it.
J. Simpson Africa's 1883 history adds an earlier depot a square to the east. It says Andrew Henderson, who served seven years as chief burgess of the borough, built the large brick house at the southeast corner of Allegheny and Third Streets that was long known as the Pennsylvania Railroad depot, before the depot moved a square farther west.
In Huntingdon, the tracks were removed from their hazardous location in the middle of a busy street and relaid on the canal bed.Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, Huntingdon Station, written data pages, HAER PA-244, Huntingdon Station, data pages, report page 2 (PDF p. 3) · character 4,371 of the scanned text
Sources
- Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey HAER PA-244: Huntingdon Station (1987)
- HAER PA-244, Huntingdon Station, written historical and descriptive data (1987)
- J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties (1883), biography of Andrew Henderson
- Nancy S. Shedd, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites (Washington: National Park Service, HABS/HAER, 1991), Pennsylvania Railroad: Huntingdon Stations and HUNT Tower
Checked 2026-09-05 · Library of Congress survey record, read in full
← All stories from Huntingdon borough
Have something to add to this story, or a photograph of it? Send it here →
Photographs from Huntingdon borough
More from Huntingdon borough
HUNT Tower stands just north of the tracks at the west end of the old station platforms in Huntingdon, where Fourth and…
Huntingdon borough, Huntingdon's Grand Courthouse Towers over TownDid you know? Huntingdon tore down a courthouse people loved, and fifty five years later they were still sore about…
Huntingdon borough, Native American Civil RightsDid you know? The man who helped bring the first national Native American rights organization into being spent the last…
Also about railroad
The survey's cover sheet for the Sideling Hill Tunnel, HAER PA-127-F, places it in the Kimmel vicinity and holds…
elsewhere in the county, East Broad Top Railroad Machine Shop, Rockhill FurnaceThe machine shop at Rockhill Furnace is the building the East Broad Top Railroad used to repair its own locomotives.…




