Wood township
St. Michael's, the onion-domed church at Woodvale

St. Michael's Greek Orthodox Church stands on a small parcel of High Street land that its founders obtained from the coal company. The Historic American Buildings Survey, which recorded the church in 1989, says the parish was organized in 1917 by immigrants from the Galician and Carpathian Mountain region of eastern Europe, and that they built a wood-frame church with a center steeple, an onion dome and a Greek Orthodox cross atop its spire. Members of the congregation told the survey the church was originally elaborately decorated with murals.
That first church burned in the 1930s. The congregation rebuilt it immediately, and the survey says photographs of the old exterior indicate the builders worked to reproduce many of the original architectural elements. The survey names one feature that differed, at the back: the new church has a curved rear wall where its predecessor's was straight. The 1992 National Register nomination for the Woodvale Historic District describes the same rebuilding and lists a second difference, a small one-story entrance vestibule.
The congregation also built a hall across the street, where it held meetings, dances and other social events, and laid out a large cemetery northwest of town. The survey found the church, the hall and the cemetery all still in use in 1989 and called them integral parts of the community. The church at first rented half of a double house as a parsonage; by 1989 it was building a new parsonage beside the church.
The county's 1991 inventory of historic engineering and industrial sites counts St. Michael's as one of three onion-domed churches in Huntingdon County, with the other two in Mount Union and Huntingdon.
In 1917, immigrants from the Galacian and Carpathian Mountain region of eastern Europe organized a Greek Orthodox parish in Woodvale, obtaining a small parcel of land on High Street from the coal company, on which to build a church.Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey / Historic American Engineering Record, St. Michael's Greek Orthodox Church, written data pages, HABS PA-5570 data pages, page 2 · character 892 of the scanned text
Sources
- Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey HABS PA-5570: Saint Michael's Greek Orthodox Church, High Street, Woodvale (1989)
- HABS PA-5570 Saint Michael's Greek Orthodox Church, written historical and descriptive data (2 pages) (1989)
- National Register of Historic Places nomination: Woodvale Historic District, reference 92000942 (1992)
- Huntingdon County Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites Inventory (HABS/HAER, 1991)
Checked 2026-09-05 · Library of Congress survey record, read in full
← All stories from Wood township
Have something to add to this story, or a photograph of it? Send it here →
Photographs from Wood township
More from Wood township
Robertsdale's first theater belonged to the coal company. In 1918 the Rockhill Iron and Coal Company built the Liberty…
Wood township, The company office that became the post officeThe Rockhill Iron and Coal Company office stands on the east side of Main Street in Robertsdale, just south of the East…
Wood township, The stone company store at Main and CliffThe Rockhill Iron and Coal Company store stands at the corner of Main and Cliff streets in Robertsdale, opposite the…
Also about church
The church at Greenwood Furnace is a one-story building of rubble stone, gable end to the road, with a side entrance…
elsewhere in the county, Three Springs: the first congregationsFrom the county histories, on Three Springs borough. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1883,…





