Huntingdon borough
Huntingdon Built Railcars
Did you know? Huntingdon once built railroad cars, and the best part of the story is that the works had already failed once.
In 1872 Orbison and Welch opened the Huntingdon Car Works at the northwest edge of the borough, turning out two or three freight cars a day. They bought their wheels from somewhere else. After about two years, operations were suspended. The place went quiet.
Then in July of 1880 two brothers, J. G. and M. C. Blain, bought the dead plant. They enlarged it to four times its old capacity and built their own foundries so they could finally cast their own car wheels, which is how it became the Car and Car Wheel Works.
By the time the county history was written it covered ten acres and ran on a two hundred and fifty horsepower steam engine. Four hundred men worked there. The payroll was fourteen thousand dollars a month. They went through ten thousand tons of iron and ten million feet of lumber a year, cut at their own mills in this county and dried on the property.
Two brothers bought a shut down factory and turned it into the biggest employer in town.
Sources
Checked 2026-07-29 · County history, independently fact checked