Henderson township
Henderson: the village, the store and the post office
From the county histories, on Henderson township. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1876, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.
The nearest railroad stations are Shirleysburg and Orbisonia, on the East Broad Top railroad. Although thickly settled, it has no large towns or villages. The post offices are Nossville and Shade valley. Henderson township, as shown by the order of the court erecting it, was so named "in consideration of the distinguished uprightness of the late General Andrew Henderson as a public officer, and his services during the Revolutionary war." It is bounded on the northwest by Oneida township, on the southwest by the Juniata river, on the northeast by Barree township, and on the east by Brady. Adjoining the borough of Huntingdon, the people find there a market for their produce, and are benefited in many respects by being in the vicinity of a town of its size and population. Many of them are accommodated at its post-office and others at Union Church, the only post-office in the township. Porter township, erected at the same sessions of the court with Henderson, November, 1814, was named in "consideration of the distinguished uprightness of the late General Andrew Porter, Surveyor General, as a public officer, and his services during the Revolutionary war." The township very irregular shape, having the general form of an equilat800 eral triangle. The sides are much indented, especially on the northeast, where it follows the coarse of the Juniata river. Its other boundaries are the Tussey mountains on the northwest, and Blair county and Walker township on the south.Milton Scott Lytle, History of Huntingdon County (Lancaster: William H. Roy, 1876) · character 581,335 of the scanned text
Sources
- Milton Scott Lytle, History of Huntingdon County (Lancaster: William H. Roy, 1876)
Quoted from the county histories