Henderson township
Henderson: the first congregations
From the county histories, on Henderson township. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1913, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.
In 1858 Mount Zion church, in Henderson township, Huntingdon ■county, was organized. For years prior to that time the Lutherans living in the vicinity of Mill Creek had been attending church at Belleville or McAlevy's fort. In they leased the old Baptist church at Mill Creek and organized a congregation. Its official name is St. Stephen's, but it is generally called the Licking Creek church. Water Street church was organized early in the nineteenth century. In a number of members of this congregation who lived near Petersburg withdrew and organized the Evangelical Lutheran church in that borough.John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 887,185 of the scanned text
Sources
- John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913)
Quoted from the county histories